Winning Smiles provides a full range of orthodontic teeth straightening dental treatments, for both adults and children. We take our own private patients, and referrals from dentists who focus on other aspects of dentistry.
The following is an overview of the considerations that people might want to take into account when thinking about Orthodontic teeth straightening.
We offer many types of orthodontic treatment including Invisalign, invisible teeth aligners.
The benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth; crowded teeth are often more difficult to clean.
- Facial profile can be changed by moving the jaw, and realigning the bite can help receding chins.
- Missing teeth problems can be solved; lateral incisors sometimes just don’t grow, leaving unsightly gaps and a narrow smile.
- Clicking or painful jaws can be relieved by moving the jaw. Malocclusion – where the teeth meet (mesh) in the wrong way – can cause jaw joint pain (TMJ disfunction)
- Damage to prominent teeth can be reduced
We do try to leave teeth and accommodate them when at all possible, as much for clinical reasons as looks, because removing teeth can have knock on effects.
But deciding on a course of treatment will usually involve the following;
- Ease of hygiene through the treatment
- Length of treatment; varying completely between 6 and 18 months, brackets can be slightly quicker, for example
- Healthy gums and bone are required, as orthodontic treatments could make it worse if unhealthy
- For overcrowding, unsightly or misaligned teeth, extraction is a last, but sometimes necessary, option
- Levels of discomfort experienced
- Longer orthodontic treatments will generally cost more
- Budget of the patient, versus the long term benefits of the different treatments
- Because of the brackets shipping from California, initial and overall costs can be higher for invisalign
- Payment plans (0% available)
- How many visits are required of the patient
- Requirements for discrete, invisible or non metal, tooth coloured brackets and braces
- Events the patient may have coming up, weddings for example
- In certain cases, retainers will be needed to be worn 2-3 times a week after treatment is finished, it is a consideration before that person starts treatment
There are sometimes alternatives
Taking the above considerations into account, our patients need never feel limited in their choice of treatment, our advice will always suit their priorities.
In addition, there are both alternative and complementary treatments that may achieve desired results.
For instance, Dental Implant technology works well with Orthodontics. For missing teeth, Orthodontics works beautifully to widen and introduce gaps of the correct size with which to fill with implants for the perfect smile. It can create the perfect blend of form and function
You can imagine the difference for people who have put up with missing teeth for all their life!
Dental Veneers may be another alternative method for immediate cosmetic effect, to help with spaces or missing teeth. For mild cases, this can be completed within 2-3 weeks.
Why not drop us a line with any questions, or to book an orthodontic consultation.
The Free Consultation
Without seeing things for ourselves, we can’t tell people what their options are.
And so with that in mind, we are happy to offer free consultations, as this is a big decision for most people. We are careful to take budget, comfort and appearance into account when explaining all the available choices and there is never any pressure to proceed, and certainly not on the day.
We set out to be a friendly practice and try to provide everybody with what’s right for them, at an affordable cost. We hope our dentist reviews give that impression.